As a pastor I’m in to preaching sermons. But, there are far more people in to evaluating sermons (i.e. my congregation). Here are five key questions to ask regarding evaluating a sermon.
1. Did the preacher capture the big idea of the text?
2. Did the preacher explain the structure of the text?
3. Did the preacher tie the text to the context?
4. Did the preacher preach Christ?
5. Did the preacher give proper application?
Slimmed down, here are the 5 questions:
1. Big Idea?
5. So What?
Of course, the most important question in #4. Jesus said, “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me” (John 5:39). Eternal life isn’t found in the Scriptures. Eternal life is found in the One to whom the Scriptures point. And they point to Jesus Christ.